Working under the moniker of Hungry Browser I’m based in Bishops Stortford (Hertfordshire, UK). I work both remotely or in-house (client side or agency) and I’m available for hire on a consultancy basis across London, UK & Europe.
What I Do
I help a range of businesses to design and develop, rewarding, human-centred digital products and services.
This typically involves:
- Requirements gathering
- User and competitor research
- User journey mapping
- Presenting to clients/stakeholders
- Design process and workflow consultancy
I collaborate effectively with a range of team members from business owners and stakeholders, to project managers, developers and designers.
Key skills include:
- Extensive experience of end-to-end UX process across most industry sectors
- Requirements gathering and user/competitor research
- Reputation for outstanding UX deliverables (site maps, user journeys, personas, wireframes, patten libraries)
- Wealth of experience prototyping & designing interactions for iOS and responsive web experiences
- Comfortable presenting to clients/stakeholders
- Thorough understanding and love of native mobile, adaptive and responsive web technologies
- Multi-disciplinary skillset encompassing both design and development
- Keen eye for visual design, animation and micro-interactions
- Exposure to an array of working styles (design sprints, agile, lean and waterfall)
- Team player with ability to collaborate with stakeholders, project managers, visual designers and developers
My wealth of experience has resulted in a proactive, pragmatic and no-nonsense approach. I always strive to simplify, avoid jargon and clearly articulate my thoughts.
I’m at my best when working on challenging projects with talented teams. I like to innovate, have fun and enjoy telling a few jokes along the way.
I’m a perfectionist at heart, but have been around long enough to understand that to get things done in a fast-paced environment there is a balance to be had between perfectionism and pragmatism.
I am passionate about well-designed experiences. I care about the small details and enjoy constantly acquiring new skills and knowledge.
My current UX ‘tool box’ consists of the following:
- Pencil/Pen & Paper
- Post-It Notes
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Flinto For Mac
- Principle For Mac
- Axure RP
I graduated from The University of Birmingham in 1999 and began my career as a front-end Web Developer. I moved into User Experience in 2007 and have been freelancing since 2008.
I worked at some of the top digital agencies in the UK and my hard work and approach have earned me a solid reputation amongst my peers.
I’ve worked with:
20|20, 8 Inc, Blast Radius, Blue Baracuda, Bostock & Pollitt, Byng Systems, Candi, Cimex, Coast Digital, Collective London, CMW London, Commercial Art, Crayon, Dare, Dam Digital, Deep LLP, Digital & Direct, Duke Interactive/Avenue A Razorfish, Eight Inc, Glue Isobar, Grand Union, Hi-ReS!, Hi Mum! Said Dad, Huddle Creative, Isobar Mobile, Juice Corporation, Karmarama, Keepthinking, Market Gravity, Mission London, Moving Picture (MPC), Mr. President, Market Gravity, Mulberry, Ogilvy Interactive, Pirata London, Preloaded, Publicis Blueprint, Reason, Rehab Studio, R/GA London, Saatchi & Saatchi London, SAS Design, Stink Studios, TCO London, This is Real Art, Travel Supermarket, Unit 9, Weir & Wong, Work Club.
Most digital agencies, businesses and individuals contact me directly, usually based on a recommendation from a colleague. You can check out the testimonials from some of the people I’ve worked with.
Depending on the nature of the project, I work on either a fixed cost basis or a freelance day rate. Every project is different. When working for direct clients I scope out all of my work in advance so they have a clear indication of the costs involved and where I can add value to their project.
I established Hungry Browser Limited in 2008. It is a registered limited company (no. 6605083) in England and Wales.
Outside of Work
I’m also a BSA-approved Level 1 Surf Instructor, a qualified RLSS Beach Lifeguard (NBLQ) and a Digital Consultant for surf charity WAVES For Development.